Tuesday 28 October 2008

Sleeping

Why this for a title? Because that's all i've seemed to do for the last couple of days.

I blame it on the travelling! Well, I actually suspect it's the winter hybernation bug biting me again. This happens every year. In the summer, I turn into an insomniac, surviving quite happily on about 3 hours of sleep. In the winter, I could sleep the clock round and still feel tired. It's odd.

I spent most of Sunday in bed, and this I blame on a really good book. You remember the one that kept me awake a couple of nights ago? It took me nearly a whole day, but I finished it. If you haven't done so already, you really need to read Robert Jordan's 'Wheel of Time' series. It's very long and involved, but so well written, and the character development's excellent.

I eventually dragged my bones out of bed long enough to throw some chips in the oven for dinner. No fancy Sunday roasts this week!

Ah, in fact, my bad memory's playing tricks again! That was Saturday that I was lazy because, on Sunday, I went shopping. How could I forget such a momentus event!

Yep, it was time to buy interview clothes, so off I traipsed to Next. I love shopping here, even if it means visits are infrequent because of the price of everything. It is amazing how much people will pay for clothes. But I did need something new for interview. The suit I had was years old and I had to kind of keep my elbows bent a little bit to make sure the arms of the jacket looked long enough. I've gone for a slightly less power dressing look this time. I'm wearing nice smart trousers, and a smart shirt, but no suit, no matching jacket. I think it's a better image to portray, bearing in mind the job market i'm trying to appeal to. It looks a lot more approachable; a little softer.

Because the clothes were on offer, I was able to get 2 of these outfits, plus new shoes. I even got a new dressing gown! And all courtesy of a friend who decided that they wanted to spoil me on their credit card. I felt a bit guilty, as there's no way i'd have chosen two outfits if i'd known someone else was going to be paying. But I paid them back by making dinner for us when I got home. Don't ask me what I had, because I can't remember. Old age again... Oh, is that a pee stain on my sofa?

Yesterday was pretty uneventful. Because i'd set aside that money for clothes, I was able to go down town and get a couple of bits and pieces I needed for my kitchen. No more using tongs where, every minute you're holding the meat in them, you're praying that the handle doesn't fall off... again! I also got a silicon version of a wooden spoon, and they're brilliant. I had one before, and they're excellent, because they don't take the teflon off the pan, they don't scrape it, and they don't go all splintery and horrible after the first wash.

I got one of those new nifty electric potato peelers. The blade vibrates a little on them, so that it slides through the spud easier. For any Irish who subsides solely on a diet of taties, it's a must, and is sitting proudly resplendent on my kitchen worktop, just begging to be used. I think i'll make a Shepherd's Pie today, so that i can test it out. I absolutely hate peeling potatoes because it takes so long, so hopefully this'll make it a little less arduous.

So that's it. nothing more to tell. oh, except that a Turkish friend of mine's going into the army apparently. I didn't hear it from the horse's mouth though, so all I know is that he's going in the winter. I don't know how long for, or where he'll be posted, but, let the worry begin. Army's tough on the boys and the country law states that every single one of them has to be conscripted. If they've gone through uni, it can be for as little as 6 months, but this is at the government's discression. If they haven't had the benefit of a good education, which most of them haven't, it's an 18 month stint, complete with mind numbing drugs and hard work. Luckily, Abuzer's done uni, so i'm hoping the government will give him a short shift.

Today, I plan to be lazy, and not to look at the state of my bank account! It's frightening! Until tomorrow. Please interpret that term loosely!

No comments: