Monday 13 October 2008

me so far.

October 8th



Hurray, Hurray, it's a Holli holiday!



Well, not really, but it's still exciting. I'm going up to London to see my mum today, and spend a couple of days with her. I'm using the job interview that i have on Friday as an excuse to go up there, but really, I can't wait to see her. We haven't seen each other since my graduation on the 12th of September. The other reason i'm so excited is that she always has chocolate! Yes mum, this is the real reason why I love you, so share!



But, back to the job interview. I have it at 1 PM on Friday, and it lasts a grand total of half an hour. Is this the NHS ticking its "We interview disabled people too" Box? Who knows! I'm going in with the attitude that it isn't though, even though the interview's so short. So, how do I wow them in half an hour? By my dazzling charm and good looks, of course! Not to mention my quick wit and super smile. Well, someone's got to love me!



So i've ironed, yes, you read that right, I ironed! My suit and shirt, then grumbled loud and long at the fact that neither would fold without wrinkling. I did the best I could, stuffed suit, shirt, boots, other clothes, and of course my perfume, all into a rucksack, and now, i'm ready to go! Ready, that is, if you discount the fact that i'm still wearing my pink slippers. you must also ignore the fact that Molly, sensing that she'll actually have to do some work today, is feigning absolute exhaustion, curled into a tight ball right in the very corner of her bed. She's such a funny dog. Let's hope she decides that working is a good idea, else the train station might just elude my seeking, this day. Toodle pip, until i get back.



October 7th



Introduction


Ok, so who am I, and what's the point in you reading my inane ramblings?



The answer to both these questions is simple. Firstly, I am Carly, a 21-year-old physiotherapist from the Oxfordshire area. And the answer to the second? There is absolutely no point whatsoever, unless, of course, you need an excuse to procrastonate at work for a few minutes each day. Ah, did I say procrastonate? What I meant to say was, read something deeply interesting, educational, and integral to the continued existence of the company you work for. Aren't you a good employee!



So, what's the purpose of the blog? It has no higher purpose i'm afraid; none beyond that of the usual blog, anyway. It's to let people know how i'm getting on, and, perhaps more importantly, to keep my own brain amused and stimulated while I go through the headache of job hunting. At the minute, due to this recession and NHS budget cuts, physiotherapy jobs, already thin on the ground, are almost impossible to find. Back in the summer, I was applying for about 7 or 8 a week on average. This week i've only found 1. I need some real luck if i'm to secure this single job for my good self.



But, do i even want to work in physio any more? The thought has plagued me with worrying regularity over the last month or so. Do i really want to struggle for the whole of my career with lifting people, cajoling them to do exercises they blatantly have no intention of doing, put old, arthritic, miserably unhappy stroke patients through repetative actions that they feel are pointless at the time? Do I want to struggle to find a job, struggle to prove to my work colleagues that a blind person can do it just as well as they, struggle to keep it when the recession really hits?



But then, you have the other side of the proverbial coin. The thanks and satisfaction you get after suctioning someone whose lungs are so full of phlegm and gunk that they couldn't breathe. The gratitude from parents and family when they see their child be enabled to crawl like any other kid of their age. The self satisfaction you get when you make a lonely, unhappy, scared elderly person feel better about their life and themselves through enabling them to be mobile enough to get to the shops again. There is no easy answer to my quandery, but I suppose it gives me something to ponder on, in between making job applications.



So, what can i tell you about my day? I slept late this morning (Naughty Carly!). Well, late, if you count 9 AM as late. Usually i'm up at 8 on the dot, with the guide dog, Molly, running in circles around me, attempting, to the best of her ability, to wag her tail right through the walls of the house! I've never seen a dog who can hit you with their tail with the force that Molly musters when she's excited or if there's the slightest chance that food will be offered as a reward for such exuberance. Once i'd distracted the raging beast with a good sized bowl of doggy biscuits, and slipped stealthily out of the range of the whip tail, it was time to begin the daily ritual of job hunting. Nothing presented itself this morning, so, as usually happens, i filled the time in between checking by logging onto a roleplay game i play over the internet. I'll tell you more about my character on there another time.



At about 11, when my belly started threatening to eat itself if I didn't feed it, I grabbed the first thing I could find in the fridge which happened to be a rather yummy tuna, garlic mayo, sweetcorn and cheese wrap. Yes, i'm still a student at heart, so don't bat an eyelid at eating stuff like this for breakfast.



With the belly appeased, it was a quick jaunt back to the computer to see if a job had presented itself. nope, still nothing. So, i'll have to find something else to fill my day with.



Anyway, that's all I have to tell at the minute. I told you it would be exciting! Until tomorrow, be good. Don't forget to leave a comment... whenever i work out how to give you the option of doing so, that is.

No comments: